Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Villa d Este on Lake Como

The legendary Villa d'Este on Lake Como has hosted guests from Shelley to Longfellow and yet I still have never managed to make it there. Swoon with me over some dreamy photos by Massimo Vitali of this enchanted spot situated on one of the most majestic lakes in all of Europe.

The pool of the Villa floats out onto Lake Como. Originally built by the noble family Cardinal Tolomeo Gallio in 1568.


The lobby hosts a double staircase and marble columns. I can smell those flowers now!


The famed gardens of the Villa is divided by an avenue of cypress and includes a mosaic nymphaeum from the 16th century.


Neighbors of the Villa include George Clooney and 47 year old Russian billionaire Arkady Novikov who has recently purchased the Gianni Versace Villa for $52 million. The village of Nesso seen above is a 15 minute boat ride.


The town of Como is also well noted for it's marble Cathedral built in 1396, see left. Amazing!
Several spots around Lake Como are accessible by boat only, like the gardens of Villa del Balbianello above.

3 comments:

Boutique Mix Fashion said...

beautiful!!!

Vanessa said...

As Liz Lemon would say, "I want to go to there."

Brett W said...

I have a question for you. I am living in northern Italy for the year and I am going to be visiting Lake Como again soon with my girlfriend. Are the gardens available to the open public? The gardens of Villa del Balbianello specifically caught my eye as a place I would love to take her. Your help is very much appreciated!