Friday, April 17, 2009

Jill Zarin's Apartment in Traditional Home

I thought I was finished for the week but my issue of Traditional Home Magazine was just dropped off by my chipper postal worker. We have all seen Jill's apartment on television and I know some of these photos are making the blog rounds, but here it is. And by it, I mean her apartment that badly needs a little editing. Brad, her gay husband slash interior designer, hairdresser, make-up artist, stylist, dog walker, art buyer and doormat is not only on my last nerve but a hot mess in general who made a hot mess by overdoing such a fantastic NYC space. He needs a good back handed bitch slap for each blue Foo-Dog and for your information I think that would equal about eight. Photography by John Bessler.

There are those ridiculous "POP" art tables he was basically forcing on her. I hope he would never treat a real client like that, but I have a feeling Jill is his only client so no worries there. I do like the color scheme and the couch is luxurious and inviting. Like I said, just some editing and she is good to go.

Sure Brad threw some token fabric patterns in there from Jill's Zarin Fabrics store, but c'mon. She said she wanted to be Mid-Century Modern Girl and I think he fell pretty short.

Remember the episode when Jill takes Ginger the Chihuahua over to the dog trainer at LuAnn's (I call her LuAnn, not the Countess cause we're tight like that) and the dog trainer tells Jill that Ginger thinks she owns Jill? Well I wonder if Ginger thinks she owns their apartment and if she has tried to bite Brad yet?

See what I mean about the Foo-Dogs? There were two or three sets in the cabinets lining the walls of the entry hallway. How many Foo-Dogs does a two bedroom apartment need? The dining set is nice but do you remember all the crap he had strewn all over the table? It was like a potpourri explosion.

And yes, the kitchen was a vast improvement in the color scheme alone. I would have forgone the wallpapered cabinet doors and opted for some glass or mirrors to bring some light into a windowless room.

Too Tuscan in the bedroom, but again an improvement from those harsh amber tones on the walls and lighting. I would have kept the older headboard though.

Ally's bedroom is very stylish yet still feels young. She has a daybed which allows for seating and a work desk with a modern office chair. The ceiling pattern does look good in the bedroom of a teenager.

Kudos Jill, you made the cover. Now just talk to Bravo about finding you a less annoying gay husband with a slightly better eye for interiors and you'll be all good.

11 comments:

maison21 said...

all i can say is oy vey. so many ways from bad. perhaps the only thing in there i DO like are the POP tables. just not in that space, especially with all the other madness goin' on.

jill call me- i can help. i gots "gay husband" tattooed on my ass. srsly.

MellyMel said...

Great post, Lucinda! I watch the show and was hoping you'd write about this. Funny though, on the show Jill's hair was up in a bun and she was wearing a patterned dress. I guess they went with another photo!

I love the chandelier in Alli's room

♥ Chloe said...

I reeeally like Alli's room and would steal it for myself (and make Husband sleep on the floor so I could have the daybed HA) but yikes. The rest of it just hurts.

Jill herself, on the other hand, looks great. She's lost a bit of weight, hasn't she?

SGM said...

Oh yes! I vote for M21 to be Jill's upgraded gay husband.

I'm so glad you said that about the foo dogs--SO TRUE.

BLACK ROOSTER DECOR said...

One of my biggest decorating pet peeves is a tiny area rug in the living room. Shouldn't the area rug go under seating? Isn't that a rule written somewhere, or is it just me? Maybe I'm alone in this, but I can't stand a little rug that only accommodates the coffee table. Okay, I think I've made my point and should shut up now.

Caroline said...

Wow, the claws are on! you go girl! personal friend? Ouch!

Jeni said...

Hi, I'm not sure exactly who I am sending this message to, but I wanted to thank whoever you are for posting a picture of Jill Zarin's headboard! I asked Jill via bravotv.com for advice on how to get that headboard or a photo of it, but she did not respond. I will see about getting one made for myself. Any ideas on where I start? Thanks in advance!

Lucinda said...

Hey Jeni, thanks for stopping in! No mention of where the headboard came from but I would bet money that the fabric is from Zarin's. I would start there, good luck!

Moddities :: 20th Century Vintage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Moddities :: 20th Century Vintage said...

Brad can't dance, so this shouldn't have been a surprise. I think the entire apt should be more like Ally's room. That's more of an updated mid-century look. (ps- Jill & Bethenny are my faves ;)

Anonymous said...

I am amazed that there was anything positive to say about the decor. I reacted with e general UGH when I saw it on the show. Particulalry that horrid entry way with all of the bevelled glass mirrors or whatever that crap was. I think they sell those Foo dogs by the case so he HAD to buy all of them.

Bit I must admit I seeing your point om many of your comments. Thanks you Lu!