Thursday, June 25, 2009

Age Is just A Number

Ceramicist Eva Zeisel doesn't let the fact that she is 102 years old get in the way of what she loves doing, designing. Her recent collaboration with The Rug Company has re-produced three of her ceramic pieces into hand-knotted carpets. Her famous 1952 belly-button inspired room divider, Dimple Spindle, in rug form is shown behind Zeisel. The Hungarian born designer began throwing pottery as a teenager, worked as an apprentice in Germany and Russia and came to the U.S. in 1938 to teach ceramics at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, NY. She rose to fame in the 1940's when she was asked to create a collection for Castleton China in partnership with the Museum of Modern Art. Image from Metropolitan Home.

4 comments:

The Townhouselady said...

Eva's my girl! I have quite the Zeisel collection. I got my first piece from an antiques shop and then when Ebay came about all bets were off...

Boy would I love to sit and chat with her.

Lucinda said...

Ooo, I would love to see pics of what you have! She is so inspirational. I want to look as cute when I'm 102 and still be doing my thing...

The Townhouselady said...

I've actually been meaning to unearth them. Most of my collectible ceramics and pottery are still boxed up in the basement from the move.

I'll definitely send you some photos. I have a near full service of the Hallcraft Caprice Pattern.

The Philip Hone Gallery said...

Wow, Drive and ambition! in a time of firsts!
kudos to bringing out the great artists!~