Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A Montecito Home By My Firm

My firm recently finished another glass and steel home in Montecito and it was published in this month's California Homes. This particular house had a very special setting with beautiful panoramic views of the Santa Barbara Mountains and the Channel Islands. Photos by Ciro Coelho.

Modeled after the Santa Barbara home of my boss, the recycled steel was trucked to the site and the motorized industrial doors are about eighteen feet tall and fifteen feet wide, each containing about forty panes of glass. Construction took around 18 months.

The site and former house originally belonged to Leopold Stokowski, former director for the Cincinnati and Philadelphia symphonies. His avant-garde lifestyle gave way to a rambling vernacular of a house built in 1935. After his marriage to Gloria Vanderbilt in 1945, he seldom used the property and sold it in 1953. Other noteworthy names connected to the house were Beryl Markham and Greta Garbo.

An outdoor fire pit was regulation and had to remain due to county stipulations. But when the sun starts to set, it doesn't get any better than these front row seats.

With all the doors open, you are really connected to the outdoors. Barton has a way of bringing the exteriors of a house inside, and with the mature eucalyptus and olive trees that surround the structure, it couldn't be more lovely.

The landscaping by Arcadia Studio is really spectacular.

To read more about this home, pick up California Home June 2009.

6 comments:

Chloe said...

Wowee wow wow wow. Just beautiful.

I couldn't live in an all window house. I'd be afraid people would look at me and say, "Chloe...people in glass houses shouldn't..." and I'd say, "throw the baby out with the bath water? Because if I for some reason had a baby, I'd totally throw it out with the bath water." and that'd be that. Except I don't think that's the correct saying.

The Townhouselady said...

The house is gorgeous and Chloe's comment is hysterical.

Lucinda said...

Chloe is always ready with zingers.

Laura [What I Like] said...

I am obsessed with those garage doors as windows...kind of like Metal Shutters House but with much better weather.

maison21 said...

very cool!

Jill said...

Wow!