Thursday, October 15, 2009

What Wearstler's Been Up To

Kelly Wearstler is starting to steer away from the Hollywood Glamor and is heading towards Avant Deco. Her Malibu beach house was featured in Metropolitan Home and the chunky blond wood palette is anything but typical for the well-known designer. What do you think about all of this? I know critics like to give her a hard time, but I love me some Old Hollywood and frankly could never get enough. But this is an interesting direction to say the least. Photographs by Francois Halard.

She shares this beach getaway with three other families so she wanted to make it child friendly but keep the decadence with a sense of rounded corners and sandy colors.

The front foyer features a vintage chair found in Miami atop of a Mansour Modern rug. The nautilus shell sculpture was a 1st Dibs find.

Bleached walnut stairs appear as stacked boxes. A brass railing adds the perfect compliment of shimmer.

The dining room table consists of a stone slab on a pedestal. The bucket chairs are vintage and the sideboard was custom made by Wearstler herself.

Hand painted wallpaper gives a sharp vibe to the bedroom. Vintage bed, Mansour Modern carpet, linens by Wearstler for Sferra, vintage chairs covered in Larsen fabric.

The bathroom vanity was also custom designed by Wearstler. The Bates and Bates polished-steel oval sink sits in a block of marble complimented by Paul Decorative Atlantis faucets.

The master suite has jagged lines and swirling stone striations.

The dressing room features and African sculpture on a chunky geometric table. an inspiration for some of Wearstler's hairstyles no doubt.

The entry hall.

Robert Kuo is one of my favorites. His rock-crystal ornament is really perfect for a space like this.

The living room.

Alabaster and black also play a role within the house.

A better look at the custom sideboard by Wearstler. Me likey.

Hmm, the bedroom sculpture worries me a little bit. To each his own.

So Kelly, now that I know you have this fabulous beach house, I'll be sure to stop by next summer!

5 comments:

Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle said...

Very interesting. I'm not so sure about the bedroom wallpaper and the mummy-esque looking statue.

The Townhouselady said...

I'm 50/50 on this. Some of it I like but it's just overload.

Talk about kid friendly, if I were a kid I'd totally play under those stairs all day with my cars and barbies.

Jill said...

I like her residential designs more than her commercial. I loved the bookmarked onyx in one of her bathrooms...from which book I can't remember. Modern Glamour, maybe? I love the marble in this one. She uses such glam materials. To be honest, I think anything negative I might feel probably is just pure jealousy. There, I said it!

Jill said...

I had to come back to this...I have the magazine and for some reason i can't seem to get the enthusiasm to look at it...or any of them for that matter. I have a stack of shelter magazines that I seemingly have no interest in...what is wrong with me?! Anyway, the bedroom. I like almost all of it. I'm digging the wallpaper. It's the chairs that are throwing me off. I hate the color, the pattern and the shape. What do you think?

Lucinda said...

No I hear you on the chairs. They are almost as wide as the bed and most likely difficult to make your way around. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, I think I would rather have the space they are taking up~ you need somewhere the throw your clothes at night, right?